- Location: Pokhara
- Type: Full Time
- Salary: n/a
- Opening: 1
- Experience: 3 years experience
- Qualification: Bachelor
Application Link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_apply.cfm?cur_job_id=51824
Additional Category Democratic Governance
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Feb-2015
Duration of Initial Contract : Six months with possibility of extension
Based on the completion of the CA election 2008, UNDP Nepal launched an Electoral Support Project (ESP) in August 2008 to provide technical assistance to the Election Commission of Nepal (ECN) for the period (2008-2016) following electoral cycle approach. The ESP support aims at building sustainable and enduring institutional and professional capacity within the ECN that could be easily and effectively deployed in future elections. Through the provision of on-site technical advisory services and specialised electoral support, ESP seeks to enhance and further consolidate the institutional strengthening of the Election Commission of Nepal, of its secretariat and its district offices. This support will also aim to enhance the professional capacities of its staff down to district level to meet the numerous priorities required to be addressed in order to further enhance the credibility and the adequacy of Nepal's future electoral processes.
The ESP (2008 -2016) consists of two phases. Phase I (2008-2012) focused exclusively on long-term electoral capacity building and institutional strengthening. Phase II (2012 – 2016) focuses on both long-term capacity building and operational support for future electoral processes.
ESP's support to continuous voter registration with biometrics is one of the major component of the project. It has provided technical support at regional and national levels. Following the successful election of 2nd Constituent Assembly Members election in November 2013, the Election Commission of Nepal requires continued support on ICT at regional level in order to manage voter registration data at district/regional level and to support the ECN in successful implementation of newly developed continuous voter registration software at field level.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Regional IT Officer will work under the guidance of the Project Manager of ESP and direct supervision of National IT Specialist of ESP and Head of IT Unit of Election Commission, Nepal.
The main duties and responsibilities of the proposed position are:
- Provide IT support to UNDP ESP regional team in the area of responsibility (AOR);
- Provide support to ECN at regional and district level in implementation of newly developed continuous voter registration software;
- Ensure good coordination and communication with election commission headquarters, district election offices and registration offices in the area of information technology management;
- Provide training to data entry operators as a resource person and facilitator;
- Oversee the voter registration activities in the assigned regions and provide necessary technical support at registration centres;
- Analyse the data and prepare regular reports as needed by ECN and ESP;
- Analyze, diagnose, troubleshoot and report IT related problems faced in the registration centres and district election offices;
- Provide data security support and ensure proper backup of data;
- Manage network connectivity between region and ECN headquarter and ensure the transmission of data from registration centres to district, region and ECN headquarters and vice-versa;
- Carry out any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Planning and Organizing:
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, organize, coordinate and monitor own work plan and provide advice and guidance to others.
- Ability to proactively solve problems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with subordinates and supervisors.
- Excellent exposure in computer hardware, networking, software troubleshooting, server administration (Microsoft Windows and Linux platform), Oracle & PostgreSQL database, office IT equipment and applications;
- Excellent and effective communication (verbal and written) skills in English and Nepali, including ability to prepare reports and conduct presentations.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelors’ degree in computer engineering or information technology related fields;
- Master's Degree preferable.
- At least three years of progressive experience for Master's degree holder and five years of progressive experience for Bachelor's degree holder in field related to database management, network administration, IT help desk with field level supports and experience in conducting IT Trainings;
- Election-related work experience is preferable.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Nepali.
- Computer - Programming
- Non-Profit Organisation
- Required Documents
- How to Apply
- Apply in Given Link